Christ and Culture
Next taught by Dr. Gabe Santos and Dr. Steve Kinnard at Camp Hope for Kids, Yerger Road, Schwenksville, PA on 31 May through 1 June 2015.
Please Note: For lodging and meals, please REGISTER HERE
The world is rife with varying worldviews, philosophies, religions, and denominations. How do we discern between truth and error? How do we answer questions raised by these different types of thinking? How do we help others navigate these treacherous waters? Christ is the answer.
1. Christ and Culture. The Bible and Culture. Kinnard.
2. Christ and Culture. 5 + 1 Models. Kinnard.
3. "Reading the Signs of the Times": Exegeting Culture. Santos.
4. Christ in/and Postmodernism. Engaging Relativism. Santos.
5. Christ and Consumerism. Kinnard.
6. "When I am Lifted Up": Literature, Movies, and Video Games in the Society of the Spectacle. Santos.
7. The Way of Christ and The Way of Mammon: Wealth, Possessions, and Status in the Gospel of Luke. Santos.
8. Christ and New Age Spirituality. Kinnard.
9. Christ and Feminism – Debunking Christianity as Oppressive to Women. Santos.
10. "Breaking Down the Wall of Hostility": Christ and Ethnicity and Race. Santos.
11. “Swords into plowshares”: Christ and the Military.
12. A Response to Culture. Kinnard.
(Please read these passages prior to the start of the course)
- Gen. 1-11
- Prov. 1-10
- Sermon on the Mount, Matthew 5-7
- Matthew 16
- Mark 1-4
- Luke 4
- John 20
- Luke 24
- Acts 2, 8
- 1 Corinthians 11, 12
- Galatians 3
- Ephesians 2, 4
- 1 Timothy 5
- Revelation 1, 12-14, 17, 18
D.A. Carson, Christ and Culture: Revisited (Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing, 2008).
Sunday, 31 May 2015
5:00 Dinner and check-in
6:30-7:00 New York students meeting with Steve Kinnard
7:00-9:30 Christ and Culture Lectures
Monday, 1 June 2015
9:00-12:00. Christ and Culture Lectures
12:00-2:00 Working lunch
2:00-5:00. Christ and Culture Lectures
5:00 Dinner (Could have a working dinner and finish the class)????? or...
6:30-8:30. 2 classes and finish Christ and Culture.